Friday, January 20, 2012

200 Toronto Things: (7) Chagall at the AGO and (8) coffee at the French Cafe

I finally did see Chagall on Jan 8, and also on Jan 14.

On Jan 8, the parents, Madhav and me met up at Ka Chi (the Korean restaurant), since the parents hadn't eaten there. Once we were done eating, we split up - Madhav and me went to the AGO, the parents went to the ROM.

Chagall was really quite busy, but being a member did actually help this time - we were whisked ahead in a separate line (Predictably, Madhav loved this. Actually, who am I kidding, so did I.) The exhibit itself was pretty nice - a lot of Chagall, displayed alongside a lot of his contemporaries.

Photos to follow.

Most museums structure their exhibits this way - to tell a story of what's going on at the same time that influenced the artist. I'm not opposed to this method of storytelling, but I much prefer the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam - where the focus was just Van Gogh, and it showed clearly the evolution of Van Gogh as an artist. (I'm assuming that this was possible with Van Gogh since he didn't really sell any of his work, and the museum was actually set up by members of his family. Presumably, this is less possible for a more successful artist.)

Once we were done with Chagall, I retreated to the French Cafe across the street for warmth and a cup of coffee. Interesting place, the French Cafe. It's got sandwich-type food, adequate but unfancy coffee, and seemed very much owned by a person, not a company. (There's a bit of generic in company-owned coffee shops - this one had eclectic art, plants, a fireplace and an odd assortment of chairs and tables. It felt real.)

All in all, a fun and productive Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment