Friday, January 20, 2012

200 Toronto Things - (11) art, (12) food and drink walk in Parkdale

One of the things I like to complain about - beer meetups have become less interesting. Don't get me wrong - I like hanging out at bars. But when it starts becoming the only thing I do - then I become boring, and consequently, bored with myself.

To counter, I did a bit of prep work, and set up an Art, Food and Drink walk in Parkdale, fueled by the news that the Rhino had received a keg of 10 Bitter Years. The plan was that we start at Mocca, wander down to Bacchus Roti, and end up at the Rhino.


It was a lovely plan - on paper. In real life, I got to Mocca, found it closed, and had to devise alternate plans. We ended up wandering into Propeller instead.


Propeller is fun and eclectic. There was a great variety of art on display - traditional paintings, mixed media, threadless embroidery, photographs, you name it. (There was this cool photo which had an old image of Toronto overlaid with a new image of Toronto - so you'd see a black-and-white image of someone in the 50s or 60s, overlaid with a color image of someone today. I'm describing it poorly, but it was pretty cool.)

Once we were done with Propeller, we walked over to Bacchus. What a good call! My spinach, chickpea and squash roti was delicious. I would happily eat this every single day. 

Stuffed up with carbs, we then wandered over to the Rhino, where Beau's was having a beer release party. I drank a Beau's Double-wide IPA, some 10 Bitter Years, and ended up with the Nutcracker Porter. (Half-pints of each, else I'd have never gotten home.)

Yes. Definitely worth the effort, I feel like I had a fun evening out, and it wasn't only about ending up in a bar. Always good. Must do more of this kind of beer event.

No comments:

Post a Comment