Wednesday, April 25, 2012

200 Toronto Things: City of Craft (with no fabric purchases)

So, as I was heading to City of Craft Saturday morning (April 21), I was on the phone with my brother, bargaining for a fabric exemption. (Quick story - I decided I wasn't going to buy any more fabric for the year, my brother laughed at me, we now have a bet about it - I've $50 riding on it.)

"What if," I said, "the fabric isn't for me? What if it is a gift for the princess? After all, her birthday's coming up."

"Her birthday is in June," my brother pointed out. "I'm not buying this argument."

"Ok come on - it's quilting fabric, it'd make a really cool birthday present! For the princess!" I pleaded. The fabric shakes were upon me. There were supposed to be fabric scraps at City of Craft. I'd received an email from the Workroom telling me so. Fabric was waiting to be purchased!

"Fine, but it'll need to be stored at my apartment," said my brother. Clearly, he doubted that this was a gift. Silly him, the addiction is to the purchase, not the usage - I've cupboards of fabric that prove that point. 

And so I won! 

I headed in. There were booths, and people, but I didn't let myself be distracted from the core mission - to find these scraps. 

But this story ends with a whimper. Evidently, at least for the moment, I really am fabric-shopped-out. Plus, the scraps were $15 a bag, and while I'm sure they were worth it, they weren't worth it to me. Fabric remained where it was, unpurchased. I'll have to find the princess a different present. 


The rest of the show was nice enough. Fun to look, if not to buy. Lots of vendors and crafts, but lovingly-hand-made or not, I draw the line at $5 greeting cards, $50 totes, etc. No thanks, I can make it myself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment